I worked in the part where the coleslaw was put into the tubs and passed onwards to the distribution networks. Before me there was the preparation of the ingredients, the vegetables and mayonnaise, and before that, I guess, there were more networks of inward distribution of the raw ingredients from other factories and farms. Inevitability, these can be divided down to The Earth and eventually upwards to The Sun. Beyond that who knows.
This is not my care in this particular post, rather it is the mayonnaise department which interested me intensely. I had no idea how this was manufactured, and never got to find out. It arrived in 3-inch diameter pipes that would run out the creamy white mystery by just the pull of a lever.
So how did mayonnaise come about at all? It now permeates much of our lives as an essential ingredient to some things, or an accompaniment to others. Once upon a time there was no mayonnaise and someone created it from other basic ingredients from somewhere else. That person then convinced other people that it was good. Soon the masses thought that mayonnaise was good. It now existed and propagated an empire and made the man that could sell it's worth very rich.
If one was now able to convince people in the opposite direction, that mayonnaise was not good - "Don't eat that, it's bad" - then it would cease to exist. No longer would there be a necessity to produce mayonnaise as people would no longer desire it and the initial thought would be destroyed by the new conceived thought. The whole empire of mayonnaise would be destroyed.
As easily as a thought can be accepted and become reality is as easy as it is to destroy it - by a thought.
This is how an empire can rise and fall by thought alone.
P.S. I don't want to destroy mayonnaise, I'm just saying...
P.S. I don't want to destroy mayonnaise, I'm just saying...



No comments:
Post a Comment